Dear Affiliate Leaders,
As you know, ASRT is not accepting applications for a 2021 cohort for the ASRT Student Leadership Development Program. Instead, the 2020 SLDP participants will attend the 2021 Annual Governance and House of Delegates Meeting.
ASRT has taken this opportunity to re-evaluate and make changes to the program. These changes will impact areas such as the ASRT and affiliate application process, the structure and student activities for each of the three years of the program and the level of affiliate involvement. We believe each of these changes will help streamline the program and add value for the participants, affiliates and ASRT.
The purpose of this message is to notify your affiliate of these changes and give you time to prepare, ask questions and make any needed changes to your process prior to the opening of the application period for the 2022 cohort. Please review all the information in this message and the attached documentation.
2022 SLDP Application and Affiliate Involvement Plan
New participants accepted into the 2022 cohort will begin participating Nov. 1, 2021, and conclude their participation Oct. 31, 2024. Participants will attend the 2022 Annual Governance and House of Delegates meeting in Orlando, Florida.
2022 Application and Selection Process
Even if your affiliate selects its participants or has its own application process, every student is required to complete the ASRT application process between July 1 and Sept. 30, 2021, to be eligible for participation.
- If the affiliate selects participants prior to or during the ASRT application process, July 1–Sept. 30, the affiliate must provide ASRT with the names of selected students and ensure the selected students complete the ASRT application process by the Sept. 30 deadline.
- If the affiliate selects participants after students complete the ASRT application process — whether by reviewing ASRT application information or by reviewing the affiliate’s own application information — the affiliate must ensure the students complete the ASRT application process by the Sept. 30 deadline. The names and application information submitted to ASRT will be sent to the affiliate by Oct. 10. Affiliates must provide ASRT the names of the students they select by Oct. 20.
- If ASRT selects the participants, those students must complete the ASRT application process by Sept. 30. The students’ names and application information will be provided to the SLDP Alumni Committee by Oct. 10. The committee will make its selections for affiliates’ student participants by Oct. 20. ASRT staff will notify affiliates of the selections by Oct. 25.
ASRT Application Process (July 1–Sept. 30)
- Submit ASRT application.
- Submit essay, 500 – 700 words. (Why would you be a good participant for this program?)
- Submit signed letter of recommendation from program director.
- Submit copy of current affiliate membership card.
- Every year: Affiliates will be asked to submit a midterm and final report on how the affiliate has kept their SLDP participants active at the affiliate level.
- Year one: ASRT staff will assign questions to students and have them reach out to their affiliate to learn more about their affiliate’s structure, governance, delegate process, committees, annual meeting, website and so on. Students will report what they learned.
- Year two: ASRT staff will give students monthly assignments for ASRT Leadership Academy modules and have them reach out to their respective affiliates to answer questions. Students will report what they learned.
- Year three: ASRT staff will give students monthly assignments for ASRT Online Advocacy Academy modules and have them reach out to their affiliates to answer questions. Students will report what they learned.
Based on recent feedback from affiliate leaders and SLDP participants, the attached Affiliate Guidance Sheet has been developed to provide ideas for your affiliate on ways to keep your SLDP participants involved at the affiliate level throughout and beyond their three years in the program. Please review the document and feel free to use these ideas to improve and implement changes to your affiliate’s plan for SLDP involvement.
We look forward to working with your affiliate to relaunch and implement these improvements to the ASRT Student Leadership Development Program. We will provide additional information in early 2021. However, after reviewing this information, please email any questions you have at this time to email@example.com.
Jason J. Bradley, B.A., R.T.(R)
ASRT Director of Governance